When it comes to maintaining your yard, it makes sense to use environmentally friendly techniques. Even with all the artificial aids, supplements and chemicals that have been developed for just about every lawn problem under the sun, the best way to achieve healthy grass is the natural way, as Mother Nature intended. Apart from mowing your lawn regularly, here’s some advice on simple things you can do to keep your yard looking great while still being considerate to the environment.
- Do a Soil Test Before you think about adding any amendments or additives to the soil, get it tested first. By collecting around 10 randomised samples from your lawn, and getting the soil composition analysed, you’ll be able to get a health check on your soil. Eg. Is the pH is correct?
- Mow Smart As sharp as a golf course green looks, it’s not ideal when it comes to your yard. Longer grass is healthier and more resilient, so when you mow, set your mowing height to 3″ or higher. This allows the grass to retain more moisture and also helps inhibit weed growth. Also, if you have a mulching attachment on your mower, use this to deposit the grass clippings straight back into the lawn – this acts as a natural fertilizer and won’t cost you a cent. It is also important that you buy a good lawn mower so that it does it job perfectly. More on lawn mowers later in this article.
- Water Deeply, Less Frequently Avoid brief and frequent watering in favour of less frequent but longer irrigation of your lawn, to encourage the grass to grow a deep root system. If you can, water in the morning as this gives the grass a chance to dry out during the day. If your lawn is left damp and moist overnight it can become prone to fungus.
- Minimise Chemical Usage Take the time to correctly identify any problems with your lawn BEFORE you use chemicals. If you do need to treat any problems, where possible do spot treatments so you don’t apply chemicals to the entire yard. Remember – when it comes to chemical applications, more is NOT better!
- Use Fertilizers Appropriately Slow release fertilizers that are not water soluble are great to use and better for the environment. Excess fertilizer can cause nitrogen and phosphorus build-up in nearby waterways, which promotes algae growth and causes waterways to become sick. Organic fertilizers are a good option, and remember the best time of the year to fertilize is in the fall.
- Use Clever Garden Design to Minimize Run-off Designing your yard with rainwater tanks or a rain garden to help slow down water run-off allows the water to absorb into the ground, and minimizes sediment loss and erosion. Keeping your grass at a higher length can also assist in ensuring that rain water goes into your soil rather than washing it away
Best Lawn Mowers UK
Troy-Bilt WC33 Review
And well, if you are looking for some serious power, then here you have the titan option of this list: The Troy-Bilt WC33! This one is very special because it’s a walk-behind mower but with the features and performance of a riding one.
Now let’s go and check the pros and cons for this product:
- Finish The Mowing FAST with its 33” Cutting Desk. This is a very important feature for a smooth and powerful performance.
- A super strong 420cc OHV engine for a super powerful performance. If you need serious power, then you need the TB WC33, because it has the engine you really need.
- Perfect for all types of lawns. It doesn’t matter what kind of lawn you have, with this bad boy you can handle them all!
- No more problems with tall grass. Are you sick of not being able to cut tall grass properly? Then with the TB WC33 these days will be OVER!
- Easy to use, no more headaches. It comes with a nice electric start, which means you won’t have to pull. Only turn the key just like in a car and you are good to go!
- Nice grass clippings management options. You can either side-discharge or use the mulching kit to reduce it to little pieces. Optionally, you can purchase a bad for it.
- It’s heavy, quite a bit. Around 323 pounds or 146.5 KG. But don’t worry, it’s very easy to use so this won’t be much of an issue.
- It’s gas-powered, so it’s not the most environmentally-friendly option out there.
Just 2 cons. This walk-behind mower is so great that there not so negative things I can say about it. Now let’s check the full review for this product.
Troy-Bilt has created this mower with one thing in mind: give it the performance of a riding lawn mower. The WC33 has a powerful 420cc OVH engine, which will give you a much better performance than most mowers out there.
The cutting-deck width is also very generous at 33 inches… 33! If with the GreenWorks 25022 and its 20-inch wide cutting-deck you could mow 25% faster, imagine how fast you can go with the WC33 and its superior OVH engine and its extra-wide 33-inch cutting deck. Just imagine it!
So I can say that this option is the real time saver. It will cut the grass in a bliss, so you can have more time to enjoy with your family, hobbies, friends or any other thing that’s more interesting than mowing your garden. But don’t worry, because thanks to the WC33 by TB, this activity will never be boring again!
And of course, it can handle all type of grass and lawns. A large lawn with tall grass and thick weeds? That’s not a problem for the WC33 by TB. You will transform that ugly lawn to a beautiful one in a bliss!
It’s very simple to use. The OVH engine can be activated easily thanks to its electric start. Just use the key and you are good to go. And don’t worry, it’s powerful yet you will be able to control it without problems.
And the grass clippings management options are very cool. You can either opt for a nice side-discharge, or you can use the mulching kit in order to transform the clippings into a very little small pieces. I just wish it came with a bagger, but well, everything on this world cannot be that perfect…
From this list it’s the real Titan, the most powerful walk-behind mower. If you have come to this point, it’s because you need a real power-house solution, and here you have it. It has a lot of advantages: excellent OVH engine, extra-wide cutting desk but the most important is that it will mow ANY type of lawn without problems in a fast manner.
Just remember to buy an additional bagger in case you want to use one, because it doesn’t come included with the WC33. But hey, it’s just a little disadvantage for such a great mower!